[chef] Re: Bootstrapping a lot of nodes

  • From: "ameirh ." < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Bootstrapping a lot of nodes
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 15:34:43 -0400

I think the best way to accomplish this is to trigger the bootstrap from the node itself, rather than spawn off a ton of knife commands en masse.  chef-client 11.12.x supports the -r parameter, which allows you to specify the run list.

I achieve this in my projects by creating a template that has an init script that triggers the chef-client run.  A gist of what I use is at https://github.com/ameir/chef-initstrap if you want to adapt it for your needs.  It's been working well for us thus far.

Thanks,
Ameir