[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Better workflow for actively-developed cookbooks

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Better workflow for actively-developed cookbooks
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 11:24:46 +0200

I'm using librarian-chef and wouldn't know how else I should manage my cookbook dependencies. It is great for resolving / downloading dependencies from various sources (community site, git, local path) if you treat them as "binaries" and I'm pretty happy with it.

But I'm also experiencing some friction when it comes to actively developing on cookbooks which I want to upload to chef server during my test / devlopment cycle. With librarian-chef I see only a few, all not ideal, alternatives:
 - do the full  `git add . && git commit -am 'foo' && git push origin master && librarian-chef update` cycle as mentioned by Bryan
 - do active development using a `:path` dependency, then when you have changes do the `librarian-chef update` cycle. When you are done testing do `git add . && git commit -am 'foo' && git push origin master` and switch to a `:git` dependency
 - do the changes directly in the $CHEF_REPO/cooksbooks directory (dangerous: don't do `librarian-chef update / install` or you will lose everything!!!), and when you are done testing replay the changes to your original cookbook source (might be suitable for tiny changes only)

@Jamie: can you give us a quick comparison on the differences of librarian-chef and berkshelf? would berkshelf better support the scenario above?

Cheers,
Torben